Saturday, 10 November 2012

Porchette, porchetta, porchetta!


Living in the land of pork it seemed a natural to dive right into the porchetta craze. I dropped in on my favourite butcher and between my re-fried Spanish and pointing to specific relating body parts, on myself and Armando, he managed to deciphered my request. "Aaaaaaah, pochetta! Si, si! But it didn't stop there, I was directed to follow an unmarked van to an unknown part of town where the bodega that held my porchetta lies. The doors of the bodega were flung open and hanging on a hook, all on it's own was my porchetta! It was a thing of beauty and I closed my eyes and said a brief prayer to the culinary goddess's. Not only was it beautiful but it was cheap!!! About $48 but for the whole thing - crazy. I returned to the hotel where I lovingly made a paste of garlic, rosemary, fresh bay leaves, chiles, lemon zest, black pepper and sea salt. It took my three gals in the kitchen, ( left to right ) Lucy, Teri and Yanet, to wrestle it closed. We've yet to cook it because I want to do it in our new wood fire adobe oven, which needs to be cured a few more times...you'll be sure to see the finished product...but only I'll be able to taste it - hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment