Thursday, 14 July 2011
My First Car Accident!
It seems a preferred driving maneuver in Mexico, is to make a right hand turn from the left lane. Yesterday, I was a victim of thus radical form of navigation. The young chap in the red shirt is the one who ran into me, and that's Maggie on the phone to her lawyer brother...not sure if that was actually the case but it shook the poor guy up enough that he had me follow him to his friends garage to have my bumper fixed. Unfortunately the police arrived not to assist, but to extort. I paid him nothing but the kid was forced to hand over the equivalent of two days wages. My bumper was repaired with 3 zip-tie straps as I looked on in amusement. Once the bumper was secured the kid gave me a pleading look and asked 'Es bueno?' I just smiled and said 'si, es bueno'...he was noticeably relieved. BTW, on the way to the garage the kid pulled off a right hand turn from the left lane, yet this time, without incident...ni modo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Since your bumper was immediately repaired, did you still ask the help of Maggie’s lawyer brother for this matter? Glad the accident wasn’t so bad and you were not injured. So, I guess, you’re now aware of the preferred driving maneuver of the people there in Mexico. But I think people there must be a little careful when maneuvering.
ReplyDelete>Amy Baron