Tuesday, 2 August 2011
The End of Week Two
The foundations are almost finished and the pillars have been poured to receive the palapa. The foundation is constructed from what they call blue stone, which is cut and built by hand. There's an ancient Roman-esque feel about the place...I have an overwhelming desire to don a toga and wrap my head in laurel leaves, but it would clash terribly with my coconut bra. I've been told by some of the locals, that we're 'over building' and the foundation is strong enough to hold a skyscraper...I just smile and say "good". This area is an earthquake zone and has been known to endure cyclone capacity storms, so a little extra security underneath is money well spent. Speaking of security, pictured is Felix, Maggie's brother, our night watchman. Felix is a lawyer. He lost his job with the government when the new party was voted in...they made a clean sweep. He gets $20 a night to sleep in his car and watch our building materials. It's tough all over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment